Friday, February 28, 2020

Off to Work I Go

I just finished my first week back at work after my 13-week maternity leave. Whew! I survived! The emotions I felt this week were very similar to the emotions I had three years ago when I returned to work after having Emmy. It turns out it isn't any easier the second time! Just curious to see what I wrote after my first maternity leave, I looked back at my blog post from February 2017. I hope you don't mind if I recycle some of my writing. 

I could write a whole post on how difficult it was to leave Eli on Monday morning and how I cried during my morning commute. I could write about how I missed Eli especially in the mid-morning, when I knew he would be his most playful, and then in the afternoon, when we would usually spend time with Grammy, Grandpa, and Emmy as we waited for Daddy to get home. I could go on and on about how strange it feels to be away from him after being with him every second for the last three months, and how weird it is to once again dress in professional clothes. BUT I could also write about the fabulous support system I have while making this transition, the many phone calls I have received and sweet messages, the numerous loved ones who checked on me and offered words of encouragement. I want to thank everyone for helping me through this tough thing called being a working mom. 

To my husband, thank you for making the time at home so precious! We have been a good team in the evenings, knocking out baths and laundry, while sneaking in reading, baby cuddles, and "tackle football." Thank you for being home early on the evenings that you didn't have sports so that we could spend time together as a family of four. And mostly, thank you for being the other face that I rush home to every evening. 

To my sweet Emmy, thank you for your flexibility this week. Not only are you sharing Mommy with a new little brother, but also now with her career. You have cooperated with our morning and evening routines, and you seem to understand when I have to go to Eli instead of read another book. Speaking of reading, my favorite part of the day is reading with you before bed. I hope you know how much I cherish this time together.

To my mom, thank you for loving my little guy during this time. I can't imagine how hard it would be to drop him off at a daycare while he is still so small. I know I will have to do that soon, but I am thankful for the bond you will develop with him during these next few months. I've enjoyed our chats and texts throughout the day. You've helped me to still feel connected to him, and I also feel more connected to you, as I learn more and more about being a mother. 

To my dad, wow you have stepped up to the plate as Grandpa! It has been so wonderful seeing you interact with Emmy while Grammy tends to Eli. You two have such a silly and fun relationship. It has been so helpful when you've picked her up from daycare so I only have to make one stop in the afternoon. Thank you for the other things you are doing to help mom during the day like washing bottles, moving car seats in and out, and lightening the load for her. 

To my sister, a fellow working mom, thank you for the flowers you sent to brighten my day. You have been a great listener and have encouraged me as I take on this challenge. I look up to you and the way that you juggle everything. I am thankful for the bond that we have as sisters and as mothers. 

To my friends, I was overwhelmed by the sweet messages, texts, emails, phone calls, and hugs. I feel like I have a huge cheering section, and your prayers were felt all throughout my day. 

To my coworkers, thank you for welcoming me back with such excitement. I appreciate your patience as I adjust to being in the workplace again. You have been so kind to let me ease back in to my duties, and it has been nice to see all your smiling faces again. 

My prayer is that the time at work will be productive and worthwhile, and I pray that the time at home is meaningful and intentional. I hope I can be my best self when I am at each place.
.
.
.
.
Time to dry up the tears and share pictures from our week, starting with some tv time on Sunday evening. While I stayed busy getting ready for the work week ahead, Boomer introduced both kids to NASCAR and golf. Emmy got a kick out of watching and yelling at the cars as they went around the track. (Parenting Disclaimer: Despite Eli's eyes in this photo, the screen time was pretty minimal!) In an attempt to make the week go as smoothly as possible, I did a lot of prep, including packing lunches and laying out Emmy's outfits for each day. I didn't get a Sunday nap like I usually do, but I enjoyed some extra cuddles with Eli.  
Two sweet surprises awaited me on Monday - flowers from my sister and a Chick-Fil-A bouquet and an iced coffee (my favorite morning treats!) from my coworker, Collin. 
I've loved getting photos from my parents throughout the day. I look at them over and over again when I am pumping at school. I am currently pumping two times during the school day (around 9:30AM and 12:30PM), as well as in the car both ways! The pictures are helpful to pass the slow, tedious minutes of pumping. 
The Kennedys are going in different directions tomorrow, with Boomer and the kids heading to Star while I go to Raleigh for Jen's wedding shower. It will be Boomer's first solo adventure with the two kids, but I know he can handle it. Plus, he will have a little help from Granny! Because we will be apart tomorrow, it was nice to spend time together this evening. Today marks our 11th dating anniversary, can you believe it?! We celebrated with dinner at Chipotle and folding laundry together after the kids were in bed! And so ends my first full week of work! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment