Saturday, February 22, 2020

A Snow Day

We had a surprise snow day on Friday after a light dusting came through our area on Thursday evening. It was really no more than an inch of snow, but it was enough to cover the grass and send the school systems into a panic. Most of the schools got out early on Thursday and either had a delay or closing on Friday. I hadn't planned anything for Friday since it was going to be my last official day of maternity leave. I had visions of staying in my pajamas all day, watching Food Network and reading (in between feedings and playtime with Eli, of course!) I really haven't had too many days like this over my 12-week leave so I was looking forward to a lazy day. With the winter weather though, unexpectedly all four Kennedys were at home on Thursday evening and on Friday morning. We knew the night before that Boomer's school had a Teacher Workday, so we enjoyed a leisurely morning, followed by a delicious brunch at one of our favorite breakfast spots, Dame's Chicken & Waffles. Boomer got the Carolina Cockerel (three wings, a blueberry waffle, and a peach apricot spread), and I got the Classy Hen (chicken cutlet with a classic waffle and a vanilla almond spread). Emmy got her own waffle too, which she preferred to eat like a piece of toast, sans utensils. Emmy's daycare was actually open on Friday, but I kept her home with me for the rest of the day as Boomer took off for a wrestling tournament in Greensboro before heading back to his school. Even though Friday looked a little different that I originally planned, it was the perfect last day of maternity leave. 
After having some extra time together as a family on Friday, my mind kept thinking it was already Saturday! It has been nice to feel like the weekend has lasted a little longer than usual, especially with Monday looming ahead of me. I am trying to enjoy these last days of my leave and push away any anxiousness I feel about my return to work. I am also trying to have realistic expectations for myself as I go back to being a working mom again, while staying positive about the weekends and upcoming breaks that are built into the school schedule. We have had a fairly mild winter, but perhaps we will have a few more surprise snow days over the next few weeks - I wouldn't be upset about that! 

I'll close with two photos that made me smile this week - Emmy talking into her bottle phone during nap time, and Eli trying to maneuver out of his swaddle. I sure love these silly babies of mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment