Tuesday, January 3, 2017

To My Husband

For a lot of people, today was the first day back to work after the Christmas break. I know there was a lot of groaning to the sounds of alarm clocks this morning! Even though I am not back to work yet, last night was still a little sad. Emerson and I have had eleven wonderful days with her daddy at home. I knew the break would eventually come to an end, but I didn't realize how hard it would be to see Boomer go back to work. The time we have had together has been so precious. After the busyness of the holidays, it has been so nice to have a few days at home just as a family of three. We've spent the mornings lazily eating breakfast and playing with Em. We'd give her a bath and laugh at the faces she made as we splashed around in the water. In the afternoons, we'd watch whatever football games were on TV or fit in another episode [of one of the three different series we are watching] on Netflix. In the evenings, we would settle in with more family time, coaxing smiles out of Em and letting her kick around on her rainforest play mat. At around 9PM, we'd start our bedtime routine. I would feed her, and then Boomer would tuck her into her swaddle and put her in her crib for the night. Boomer would then head to the kitchen to wash up the day's bottles and my pump parts so I could get some sleep. He would come to bed a few minutes later. It has been such a wonderful, blissful routine, and I am so grateful for the extra set of hands during the day. I really cherish the time we have had to bond with our little girl. 

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post to my sister, and now I want to write one to my husband. I am so thankful for such an amazing partner in life. Boomer works so hard, and I am constantly amazed at how he juggles it all. I suppose part of my sadness last night was because the return to work doesn't just mean the hours of the 8-to-5 grind. For Boomer, he has long work days but also long nights, too, with evening programs, sporting events, and grad school classes. The return of work brings the return of an overflowing inbox, unpredictable situations, and strategic planning for his school. It means sending and responding to emails well after hours and on the weekends. It's going to an ROTC induction on Monday night, a holiday band concert on Thursday night, and a cross-country meet on Saturday. I list these things not because I begrudge him the time he spends away from home, but because I am truly amazed at the schedule that he manages to keep. As much as I can, I try to attend some of these events, too, so we can spend time together. I fully support him as he strives to be the very best at his job. Even as hard as he works and with the hours he puts in, I have never questioned that Em and I come first. In addition to his work ethic, he is such a thoughtful listener. At work he may have dealt with an irate parent or a struggling teacher (or both!), yet he will come home and sympathetically listen to me talk about the blowout diaper or the questionable belly button scab. He is always so generous with his compliments and encouragement, which have been much needed as I navigate these new waters of being a mom.

There are so many other qualities that I admire in Boomer. His servant heart. His love for Christ. His sense of humor. His wise management of money. His mischievous side. The way he sings in the car. His perfectly timed one-liners. His wholehearted dedication to fantasy football, or really anything he may do. Of all these things, I know it was God's perfect design to bring us together. And so, to my husband, I would like to say: 

Boomer, 

You have changed my life in a million amazing ways. Thank you for being such a devoted husband and father. It has been one of my greatest blessings to watch you with Emerson, the way you make her smile and the way you hold her. She is so content in your arms, and I know she will grow up knowing that she is loved. I'll never forget the moment in the hospital when you were 'dancing' with her and said that you would one day dance with her in the same way at her wedding. My prayer is that she will find a godly man like her father. I pray that she will find a great love like we have and that we raise her in such a way that she will be a godly wife and mother. This adventure of parenthood can be scary, but I find strength in knowing that you are by my side

Forever wrapped around your finger, :)
Lindsey 



No comments:

Post a Comment