Monday, January 30, 2017

One of the Girls

Em and I made our first trip to Morganton this past weekend. Morganton will always be a special place because of the many years I spent there, the many friends I made, and the memories I have from growing up in this small town. My friend Emily, my very first friend when I moved to Morganton in the 1st Grade, is getting married in April, and on Sunday, there was a bridal tea in her honor. I was glad for the excuse to make the trip back to my hometown and also to see so many of my best friends. Originally the plan was for Emerson to stay in Kernersville with Boomer, but Boomer was feeling under the weather (in fact, all three Kennedys have been fighting colds this week!), so Em tagged along with my mom, sis, and me. As you can see in the pictures, she was one of the girls for the day!
  

In just a few hours, we were able to see Coley's new (old) house, celebrate a special bride, and catch up with my mom and sister during the time that we were in the car. Even though we all live in Kernersville, it seems we always have something to talk about. We still managed to talk the entire two hours there and back! It is neat to think that perhaps Sunday was the first of many girls' road trips with Em!

As I mentioned, the dreaded winter sickness hit the Kennedy household. Luckily, it has been nothing worse than the common cold -- congestion, cough, and sneezing. Em was the first to come down with it, and it broke this momma's heart to see her baby sick! She just wasn't her usual pleasant self, and one day, we even resorted to using the swing for the first time. (The swing is another gift from my sister, and I kept telling myself that I would pull it out when we needed it. Luckily, Em hasn't really been too fussy, and between the rainforest play mat, her monkey chair, or milk, usually we can keep her happy.) The swing did the trick when I [needed to take a shower] wasn't able to hold her. She still has a lingering cough, but I think she is almost over it. I feel lucky that we have not dealt with anything more serious during this winter. Another 'first' this week was switching from the swaddle to the sleep sack. It seemed that it was time to make the switch when I came in one morning to find her head at the opposite end of the crib! I talked with my mother-in-law, and the decision was made to retire the swaddle. I will miss seeing that little baby burrito on the video monitor, but I suppose it's just one of the many milestones of our newborn growing into a little girl! Even with colds and everyone's busy schedules, we were able to fit in seeing family this past week. We also spent our evenings in bed, in hopes of kicking these colds! (As I write this, Boomer and I are still a little sick, but we are thankful it is us, rather than Em!)

 


Daddy always keeps us laughing...although Em is not too entertained in this one! :)
I am not ashamed to admit that I am already taking way too many photos of my little cutie! When it's just the two of us throughout the week, I try to document our day for Daddy and send him pictures that will make him smile. Here are some of the photos from my Camera Roll this week:

1 comment: