Monday, January 2, 2017

A New Year

2017.

I
t is bittersweet to see the close of 2016. As we welcome in a new year and reflect on the past one, there were certainly some tumultuous times for our nation -- protests, terrorist attacks, a heated presidential election, controversial legislation, and the deaths of many celebrity icons. Amongst all the shocking headlines and sad news, there was also a lot of good in 2016. For our family, we celebrated many successes and milestones. At the end of 2015, my parents relocated to Kernersville, meaning that 2016 brought a lot more time spent with family. In March, the eight of us (9, if you count Baby K!) took a trip of a lifetime to Disney World. In April, I celebrated my 30th birthday with my closest family and friends. A couple of weeks (and a half-marathon!) later, we announced to our family that we were expecting. In July, Boomer became a high school principal, a career goal that we did not think would happen for a few more years. He also continued with his graduate work and has now entered the writing stages of his dissertation. Also in the summer, my grandparents moved to Kernersville, within 10 miles of my sister, my parents, and me. How nice for all of us to be so close! Most significantly, in November, we welcomed a healthy baby girl and began the journey of parenthood. And closing out the year, in December Boomer and I celebrated six years of marriage.

As we enter into 2017, I am hopeful for many more bright moments and wonderful memories. This year will likely bring Emerson's first words, her first teeth, and even her first steps. We are starting the year with an infant, a small 7-week-old baby. At the end of the year, she will be well on her way to a spunky, energetic toddler. I am excited to see how her personality continues to develop, to hear her first belly laugh, and to see that spark of recognition when she hears the word "Mama."

I know there will be low times, too. I pray that the Lord will give us patience and perseverance for those times. I pray that we focus on the good, in spite of the bad. I think of my return to work and when Emerson enters daycare. It will be a challenge to juggle busy work schedules with our desire to spend time as a family. Sporting events, open house programs, late nights, early mornings. No, it won't be easy, but I pray that the Lord continues to bless our family, our marriage, and our home. 

2017. Let's do this!

To
ring in the new year, we celebrated in the way all parents do when they have young children -- an early dinner and back home by bedtime! We got together at Megan and Zack's house with two other couples, Sarah and Josh (with their little ones, Luke and Laurel) and Chris and Bri (and their little one, Seph). We didn't quite make it up to see the ball drop. Em was in bed by 10PM, and we weren't too far behind her! At this stage, I wouldn't want to spend New Year's Eve any other way! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment