Monday, September 5, 2016

A Labor Day Miracle

We've been enjoying a labor-free Labor Day weekend! On Friday night, we were back at Forbush for their second home football game of the season. Before the game, there was a faculty tailgate, and I had the opportunity to meet a lot of Boomer's staff. The community at the school is really awesome. They have quickly welcomed Boomer and me into the Falcon family. Unfortunately Forbush lost to North Wilkes, and the Falcons are now 2-1. Next week Forbush travels to Starmount HS, the cross-county rival. It should be a big crowd!

On Saturday, we headed to the lake for one last weekend of grilling, boat-riding, and dock-sitting. It was beautiful weather! The temps were in the 80s, a nice relief from the hotter days we've had this summer and a hint of the cooler days to come this fall. We were a small group -- just Boomer's parents, Boomer, and me. Whether just a few of us or the whole Kennedy clan, the lake is such a nice escape. Boomer will usually still do a little bit of school work (there's always work to be done!), but mostly we all unplug and enjoy the family time. Sunday was Boomer's parents' 34th anniversary. It was fun to hear stories about their honeymoon and their first years of marriage. Cathy told us about how Boomer came 4 weeks early -- he's always been eager and impatient! :) If this baby is anything like its father, perhaps we should be ready for an October baby, just in case!


And now for the name of this blog post! Earlier this week, Boomer lost his college ring. Of course a class ring is very sentimental. We were both sick over it! He doesn't wear the ring all the time like his wedding ring, but he does wear it most days to work. When he takes it off, he may put it in his cup holder in his car, on the kitchen counter, or on the dresser. After spending several days of tearing the house apart and looking in all the usual (and unusual!) places, the ring seemed to have disappeared. I even called Balfour to see the process for replacing the ring. They had no record of the ring, and it all seemed hopeless. As a last ditch effort, I decided that I would look through the trash. Yes, the trash! We didn't take the trash out to the curb this week, so we had two bags of trash. It was a dirty job (and Boomer was quite skeptical!), but I thought it was worth a try. After going through the first bag, no luck. My hopes were pretty low as I started on the second bag. Getting towards the bottom, I heard a little 'clink'. Amidst K-cups, paper towels, and snack wrappers, there was the ring!


I really think it is a miracle that we found it! Even for small things like rings, God is so good to answer our prayers!

P.S. We think maybe I am the one that threw it away! Last week, I was cleaning out Boomer's car (what a nice wife I am!), wiping down the dashboard and throwing away any trash, and we think the ring was in the cup holder. Instead of bringing the ring in the house and setting it somewhere safe, I may have thrown it away with the other trash! We don't know for sure if this is what happened, but if it is...I'm blaming it on the pregnancy brain!

1 comment: