Sunday, June 19, 2022

Lots of Summer Fun

My official duties as "activities concierge" and "cruise director" are in full force. Both Emmy and Eli start each summer day by asking "What are we doing today?" So far, I have delivered with some fun adventures, if I do say so myself! On Monday of this week, we set off to the Science Center. It was a very warm day with temps in the 90s, so we did the outside portion first before cooling off inside with the dinosaur exhibit and the playplace. There is also a new butterfly exhibit, and we were got to be up close and personal with the butterflies. On Tuesday, we went to storytime at the Paul J. Ciener Botanical Gardens with my friend Sarah and her little girl Emmaline. Then we walked through the gardens on a scavenger hunt for flowers, butterflies, bees, and birds. The kids were especially excited to spot a white butterfly. 


"Grammy and Grandpa I love you!"
On Wednesday, I watched the Houston boys while their mommy had to work. Admittedly, I have babysat very few times over the last 9 years. Since we have Grammy and Grandpa close by, they are usually the go-to babysitters. However, they are away on vacation, so I stepped in to help (and also as a return 'thank you' for our date night last week to the Dash game). The temperatures were again close to triple digits, so we spent some time outside in the morning, but then we stayed cool inside during the afternoon. We watched a movie and played Wii once Aunt Megan got home. 

On Thursday, we had a full day with both morning and evening activities! In the morning, Emmy was up early taking care of her own Mommy duties (haha!) We went to the YMCA and met up with Sarah, Luke, and Laurel. Sarah and I fit in a workout first, and I captured a really sweet photo of the kids playing together in the Kid Zone. Then it was off to the pool for about 2 hours. We returned home for rest time, and then in the late afternoon, we went over to the LeBarons' house for dinner and playtime outside. Everyone slept really good that night!
On Friday, Daddy had the day off - yay! We accomplished one of our summer to-do list items with a picnic at Wake. We parked at Reynolda Gardens and walked to the Quad. We opted for an indoor picnic, and the AC felt so good after our sweaty walk. With full bellies and an extra burst of energy, we tossed the ball around before making the walk back to the car. Eli and Boomer were wearing their Wake shirts, and the kiddos loved saying "Go Deacs!" to the other people we passed along the way. 
On Saturday, we went to the Science Center for a second time! Since we have the membership, it feels like "free fun" that we don't have to pay for. I didn't think I would take any pictures this trip, but Emmy kept saying "Take a picture, Mommy!" so of course, I had to oblige. The pygmy hippo was playing around in the water which was neat to see for the first time. We also loved showing Daddy the new butterfly exhibit. One even landed in my hair! 




Outtake!
When we arrived home, Emmy asked to take a nap in my bed with me. Little did I know that all of her sleepy friends would be joining us, too! Much to my surprise, she did fall asleep, and we both napped for about 2 hours. 

We went to church this morning and celebrated Father's Day with lunch at Don Juan's. We have the best Daddy around! With all the adventures with Mommy during the week, nothing gets Emmy and Eli more excited than when Daddy joins us. They sure love their Daddy! Happy Father's Day to the "fun parent!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment