Thursday, August 27, 2020

Screen Time

Now that I am working remotely at home, my days look a bit different than when I was reporting to a school building. One major difference is the amount of time I am seated and on a computer. Right now, I am looking at a screen and typing on a keyboard for about 8 to 10 hours of my day. A lot of Google Meets, video calls, calendar invites, and emails. I'm finding it a bit hard to write this blog post, because it's tough to get back on the computer for even more screen time. The mornings begin around 6AM with a divide-and-conquer effort as Boomer gets Emmy ready, and I nurse and dress Eli. We all leave around 7AM, Boomer a little before and me, a little after. I head over to my parents' house, while Boomer takes Emmy to preschool. After dropping off Eli at Grammy and Grandpa's, I am back home and at the computer by 8AM. Previously I spent very little time in our home office. It was Boomer's domain during his grad school years, and I treated it like his man cave. But now, I am slowing taking over his "mega desk" for my new work space. I am on the computer until around midday when I take a break to pump and make lunch. Even then, I usually find myself back on the computer, working while I scarf down my lunch and trying not to get crumbs on my keyboard. While I am adjusting to all this new screen time, one big advantage of my new work environment is my more casual attire, at least from the waist down. Here is a typical work-from-home outfit: 


Sometimes I do get fully dressed!

I try to wrap up my work by 4PM, so that I can pump one more time and then pick up the kiddos. I usually pick up Emmy first. One day last week, we made a stop by the library for a new Fancy Nancy book. Emmy still loves Fancy Nancy, and we are quickly making our way through the entire series. 

Summer made us a bit lazy, and we are all trying to build up our stamina for these early, long week days. Emmy is noticeably still adjusting to preschool, because she is quite worn out in the evenings. They are learning so much; she loves singing her new songs like "Good morning, everybody, how are you?" (to the tune of "Happy and You Know It") and the months of the year. She has also started saying phrases like "1, 2, 3, all eyes on me" and "Guess what?"  It is becoming apparent that my curious, doesn't-want-to-miss-a-thing daughter is not napping at school, and several times over the past three weeks, she has fallen asleep on the short car ride home, often while holding on to the day's artwork.
With work filling up the majority of my day now, there isn't much time during the week for any "extra" activities. I do miss our usual walks like in the summer. If it is sunny, Grammy is sure to take Eli for a walk during the day, and Emmy and I will fit in a jog together on Sundays after church. We are trying to get outside while we can before, all too soon, the weather turns cold. 


Eli went on a special field trip this week to the Greensboro Science Center with Grammy and Zander. Zander and Eli, the two bookends, loved exploring the open exhibits, of course following all of the safety procedures that are in place. 
The weekend is a time for all four of us to catch our breath. While there are always chores to be done, I love the slower rhythm to Saturday and Sunday. Our biggest plans usually are meeting up with the Houstons and Williamses for dinner. This past weekend, Boomer and I had a date night with some of the Morganton gang. Kelly and Matt came to town from Raleigh, and we met up at Incendiary Brewery in Winston. We met at 7PM, and Boomer and I joked that we couldn't believe we were leaving the house so late. Usually we are wrapping up our evening at 7PM, not starting it! Those of us that are parents enjoyed the night off from our usual duties (Thank you, Grammy!) It was such a fun evening with drinks, pizza, and a lot of laughs. Sometimes screen time is necessary, but I'm so thankful for face-to-face time with friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment