Friday, August 14, 2020

First Day Jitters

We've had a lot of changes this week as the 2020-2021 school year gets underway. After almost five months together at home, it was bittersweet to send Emmy off to preschool on Monday. She is in the Owls class at our church, Triad Baptist, and her teacher is Mrs. Holly. Just in one week, I feel like she has grown and matured right before my eyes. She is speaking in complete (logical) paragraphs, using her manners (mostly) without prompting, and following directions (usually) on the first time. Each afternoon she has been so excited to show us her artwork and to tell us about her day. Emmy has always had an interest in school activities like coloring, puzzles, and crafts, and I am so thankful that she continues to show that interest. If every week is like this one, I am so excited for her year ahead! She seems to really be thriving in her new environment. Here are a few photos from Emmy's first day:

 



Much like Emmy, I too have found myself in a new environment with a lot of unknowns. Last Wednesday evening, I received the news that my position as the East Surry HS College Liaison had been eliminated due to budget cuts. Perhaps I knew that it was a possibility since the position was funded by the county, but I was still very devastated, especially with the start of the school year a mere five days away. Thankful to still be employed, I was offered the opportunity to join the staff of the newly created Surry Online Magnet School. The SOMS principal has been great to work with, and she even spoke to me late Wednesday evening (11PM!) to answer some of my initial questions about the position. We realized that we had a mutual connection: she graduated from East Montgomery HS, Boomer's alma mater, and even used to babysit Carlin. Small world! It was a very positive conversation, and so over the weekend, I tried to wrap my head around returning to my roots as a math teacher. On Monday morning, I reported to the Central Office to learn more about my new assignment, and in the afternoon, I cleaned out my space at ESHS. It has been a bit of a roller coaster this week as I have tried to find my footing in completely unfamiliar territory. I have had several hours of training each day, while also trying to learn new policies, new software, and new coworkers. A tremendous positive of this position is that I will be working remotely. On rare occasions I may have to report to the Central Office as I did on Monday, but I will mostly be working from home. At least with this new job, I don't have to worry about where to park or where to put my lunch! Twice this week, I traded my usual 45 minute commute for a run around the neighborhood, with a super cute 8-month-old in tow. Towards the end of the week, we developed a new routine in which I drop off Eli at my parents' house around 7:30AM. There just so happens to be a McDonald's along the way, so I was able to still get my vanilla iced coffee like old times. Eli is loving Grammy Preschool. They go for walks, play with blocks, and read books. Since his time with my mom was cut short in the spring, I am so thankful she is able to help now. Funny enough, this time exactly three years ago is when I made the transition from my job at UNCG to ESHS. Emmy was the exact same age that Eli is now. Even though I am smiling in the picture, I vividly remember the fears and worries I had then. Now three years later, I am again trusting that God is in control and that He is directing my path to His greater plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment