Friday, October 12, 2018

Thank Goodness for Grandpa!

We have had quite the unusual week! As I wrote in my last post, the week started on Sunday with all the Kennedys in different cities. I headed to Raleigh for a work conference while Boomer made his way to Atlanta and Emmy stayed behind in Kernersville with my parents. My conference was for the NC Community College System, and it was a two-day event with various sessions and keynote speakers. I learned a lot, and the best part was spending time with the two other college liaisons, Melanie and Julie. Both nights we went out to dinner and talked for hours! Mostly we talked about our jobs, sharing tips and tricks of college advising, and telling silly work stories. We also talked about 'mom stuff'. The three of us are all in different stages of motherhood: Melanie, with two grown sons, married with careers of their own; Julie, with a daughter just out of college and a son in high school; and then me, with a toddler in daycare. I made a joke one night asking if either of them needed me to cut up their dinner! Needless to say, it was nice to enjoy two nights in a hotel and meals with adult conversation. One night, we also fit in a drive-by tour of NC State University and Meredith College. Both are in Raleigh, and it reminded me again how much I always love being on a college campus. I am looking forward to some upcoming student field trips we have planned back to NC State, as well as to Appalachian State and UNC Chapel Hill. 
While I was in Raleigh, Boomer, his dad, and his brother Kyle went to Atlanta for the Braves vs. Dodgers Playoff Game 3. It was a quick trip; they left Sunday morning, saw the game that evening, and were back in NC by Monday afternoon. Boomer had to take a day off work (shocking!) but I think it was well worth it so that he could have that experience with his dad and brother. His mom said that the three of them were smiling like little kids as they drove away on Sunday. The pictures were pretty cool, and most importantly, the Braves won! It was an exciting back-and-forth battle, and the Braves came out on top 6-5. Sadly, the Braves went into that game already down two games to the Dodgers, and after another Dodger win that Monday night, the Braves were done for the season. At least the Kennedy boys got to see a win, and Emmy loved the souvenir that Daddy brought home for her!
While Boomer and I were off on our adventures, Emmy spent some quality time with Grammy and Grandpa. She had a lot of fun going for a Sunday evening walk with Grandpa and Sox, and I know she loved staying home from daycare on Monday, going to the park with Grammy instead. I don't think she very much minded that Mommy and Daddy were away! 
At the end of the week, we had another heavy storm hit our area. While parts of our state are still recovering from Hurricane Florence, another hurricane hit Florida, bringing rain and heavy winds to the Carolinas. Unexpectedly, I got a call from the daycare on Thursday morning saying that they would be closing at noon. My mom was (and still is) out of town, having a girls trip to the mountains, so at first I prepared to leave school to pick up Emmy. Then, I thought, "Let's see if Grandpa is up to the challenge!" So I called my dad, and with only the slightest hesitation, he agreed to watch Emmy. I told him I knew he could do it! He has never really kept Emmy on his own, although he helps my mom when she is watching her. Luckily the timing was such that most of his 'shift' would be during nap time. He still had the dirty work of changing two diapers and setting up the pack-n-play. Boomer offered to be there right after naptime, so that my dad didn't have too much to do, but Grandpa surprised us all by suggesting he just keep her until dinnertime, when Boomer and I would be back in Kernersville after work. He even provided delivery service, bringing Emmy (and Bojangles!) to our house through the dangerous weather. This morning, there were still several trees down with roads closed and street lights out. But the sun was back out and it felt like a true fall, October day. It was probably a safe call that the daycare closed early yesterday. We are just so thankful for Grandpa! He helped in a big way, surprising us all by his babysitting skills. He truly earned his Grandpa Badge this week!

Just a few more pictures from the last few days: we celebrated Emily and Baby Sawyer with a shower last Saturday. Even though Sawyer's due date is not until November 10th, it seems he may be making an early arrival. I am glad that we could fit in one last shower for the mommy-to-be. 
And a few pictures of Emmy, being silly at the Taco Bell and putting a diaper on the hand sanitizer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment