Friday, July 8, 2016

A Labor of Love

Maybe I shouldn't be using the word 'labor' yet, but we have been working hard to get ready for Baby K. We accomplished a major item on our to-do list this week -- painting the nursery! Boomer was not a part of this fun task, but luckily I had the help of my wonderful parents, Baby K's Grammy and Grandpa. Several weeks ago, Boomer and I decided to relocate the guest room and convert that room into the nursery. As a guest room, it was a turquoise blue, a leftover color from the previous homeowners. It wasn't an ugly color. We have lived with it that way for the last 5 years, but I wanted fresh paint for the baby's new room. Going to my brother-in-law Zack for his expertise, I chose a light gray (Austere Gray by Sherwin-Williams). 

Armed with the paint and all of the supplies, Mom, Dad, and I started painting around 9AM and finished up just after 4PM. We got into a good rhythm, with Dad outlining the ceiling and floor, Mom doing the white trimwork, and me with the easy job of rolling. We were a good team! It brought back memories of the summer of 2010 when Boomer and I first bought our home. The original homeowners had chosen every bright color you could imagine. In fact, the paint, although only cosmetic, was a major negative when we were weighing the pros and cons of the house. We knew right away that we would have to paint! In the downstairs, each room was a different color: a salmon orange, a bright lemon, a lime green, a sky blue, and a lilac purple. It took a solid week of non-stop painting and many wonderful volunteers to paint the entire downstairs and the upstairs master bedroom. Of all the original colors, we decided to keep the turquoise blue in the guest room, but it was time for a change.

I'll keep you in suspense for the 'after' pictures. For now, you will have to envision an empty room but with a beautiful gray paint. Next on the to-do list: FURNITURE!



No comments:

Post a Comment