Friday, February 11, 2022

Life Lately

We have missed Boomer while he has been away at TWO different conferences. One conference was for high school administrators last Wednesday through Friday, and then the second conference was for CTE directors this week on Monday through Wednesday. Lately any conferences that he attends have either been virtual or local, but both of these just happened to be at Pinehurst, one of Boomer's favorite places and which required spending the night. Although I'm sure there was a lot of learning and networking, it's hard not be jealous of the beautiful location and delicious food. These Pinehurst conferences are a well deserved reward for all of the hard work he puts in. While he was away, Emmy, Eli, and I had our own fun, building forts and getting special treats. I had a lot of extra help from my parents and from my sister. They provided dinner several nights and helped with pick up from school, which meant that I was only solo for a short period of time in the mornings and evenings. I am so thankful for my village!

 

I received this photo from one of Boomer's coworkers. The nametag and tie are pretty convincing....it looks like he is actually doing some work at these conferences! 
Earlier this week, I completed the task of switching out Eli's clothes. He had been still wearing the 18-24 month size, but it was time to graduate up to 2T. While I somewhat dread doing this chore, it is such a blessing to be gifted a whole wardrobe of the next size. It is hard to believe that Eli is no longer in clothes measured by months. What a big boy!

In the weekend between the two conferences, I escaped for a little bit of girl time. My girlfriends and I went to see Rent at the Tanger Center in Greensboro. The venue is very impressive, and the acting and singing is just like on Broadway. As you can see in the picture, masks are still required in a lot of indoor buildings. Hopefully you can tell that we are smiling! 


I don't even know how to put into words this next thing that I am going to write. One of my close friends, Katie Noyes Jernigan, passed away unexpectedly on January 29th. Katie had a heart condition that created some issues during her pregnancies, and it was likely her heart that caused her passing. It is still with great shock and sadness that we are all processing her death. I last saw Katie for a girls' dinner on January 20th, and the thought of her absence is so hard to understand. There was a memorial service for her last Friday, and Emily and Carrie were able to speak about Katie and what she meant to all of us. Their words were perfect in capturing Katie's joyful and generous spirit. Katie was a dedicated mother, and I especially loved our summer play dates and picnics with our kiddos. I've also loved our joint birthday parties all throughout high school and in adulthood. We are so saddened by the loss of Katie. Our prayer is for peace and comfort in the days, months, and years ahead as we miss her deeply.  



No comments:

Post a Comment