Friday, March 19, 2021

Spring Break 2021

This past week was my district's Spring Break! We kicked off the week with a Saturday adventure to Mount Airy. We tried out a restaurant called Old North State Winery, and then we strolled down Main Street to Miss Angel's Heavenly Pies. The town was made famous by the Andy Griffith Show, and we saw the iconic police car and Snappy Lunch, the sandwich shop featured on the show. Grammy and Grandpa came along and helped handle our two kiddos. While at lunch, we celebrated their big anniversary (40!) which was the next day. They are enjoying a much deserved getaway to the beach with another couple from church. We miss them - we are so spoiled to see them almost everyday that a whole week without them feels like a long time!
The kids and I have had fun outings each day of the break. The weather hasn't been the best, but we have gotten outside when we could and took naps in the dreary afternoons. On Monday, we met Katie, her newborn Robert, Emily, and her little boy Sawyer for a walk at Reynolda followed by doughnuts from Dough Joe's. We also fit in a trip to the library, where Emmy got several books that we have read all week. Daddy was excited that we found one about Black Widow...although we change the words from "she kicked butt!" to "she kicked bottom!" On Tuesday, we met Shawna in Statesville for lunch to pass along some baby things. Shawna is due with her second little girl on July 1st. The timing was perfect because Eli had just outgrown several things that Shawna needed: the jumper, the bathtub, the boppy, and the rainforest play mat. I also passed along my breast pump - queue the angels singing! We had a nice long run, ol' Medela and me. So many hours I spent with that thing! I officially stopped nursing Eli at the beginning of March, but it had been since January that I had last used the pump during the workday. I was only nursing in the morning and at night through February, and then at the end of February, only at night. It was bittersweet when Eli just decided one evening that he would rather go to his crib than spend any extra time with Mommy. Luckily Boomer was there to comfort me and inject some humor. He let me get out my tears, and then he reminded me of all the times (and places!) I had nursed. Gosh, motherhood is a roller coaster of emotions. I am so happy that both kiddos are healthy and thriving, and I am proud of myself for sticking to the commitment of nursing. I will miss the closeness and the snuggles...but I won't miss that breast pump!

On Wednesday, the kids and I went to the Science Center. We have maintained our membership this year, and we continue to go about once a month, 12-14 times a year. Emmy is in a phase where she loves wearing dresses, so even though it was 45 degrees, she choose a short-sleeved dress. I convinced her to wear her shamrock socks so she at least had a touch of green on for St. Patrick's Day. After leaving the Science Center, we had lunch at Freddy's, followed by naps, some time outside before dinner, and then a make-your-own pizza once Daddy got home.  
On Thursday, we visited Boomer at work and went out to lunch. No break is complete without a visit to Daddy's office! Both kids made themselves at home in his desk chair, and Eli was not shy about exploring any open door. Emmy again wanted to pick out her own outfit, and I managed to talk her into wearing pants underneath the frilly skirt since it was again in the 40s. 
With no plans today and temperatures again below 50, we entertained ourselves in the kitchen, colored a lot, played with the water mat, and ended the evening with our usual Friday movie night while Boomer was at a football game. It was the only "screen time" we had all week, which seemed like a pretty big mom win! 
The break was such a nice taste of summer. Emmy, Eli, and I had a lot of fun, and I (mostly) felt like I managed them both without feeling outnumbered. As we enter the final quarter of the school year, I am excited about the summer ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment