Sunday, March 28, 2021

Checking off another 13.1

As we have entered into spring, it seems like some days you get a taste of every season: brisk temperatures in the morning, unexpected rain showers, hot afternoons, and then windy evenings. Luckily there have been more opportunities to get outside this week, and both Emmy and Eli enjoyed the sunshine. After a walk with Grammy at Triad Park, Eli explored on the playground. And here's a snapshot that was posted on social media of Emmy and her classmates playing in the sandbox.  

Speaking of Emmy's classmates, I just have to share this class photo of the Owls. We all got a laugh out of Emmy's friend Peyton on the front row, far right. She looks like she is riding a roller coaster! 

Back row: Mrs. Holly, Emmy, Roland, Ellie Sue, Norah, Emerson
Front row: Eliannah, Caleb, Journey, Callum, Peyton
Eli got a hair cut this week. You may remember that he had a trim around the ears a few months ago, but this was a full hair cut with scissors and clippers too. His hair was getting a little shaggy and falling into his eyes. Grammy and Grandpa worked together to entertain and hold Eli steady while managing to take about an inch off around his face and in the back. (I mostly stood back and took photos!) Eli wasn't too excited to be in the high chair without any actual food. We also picked a time that he was a little sleepy and ready for a nap. Considering all these circumstances, I think it turned out really well! 

Before...
...during...
...after!
This weekend, Megan and I ran our annual sister half-marathon. Since races aren't all the way back to normal yet, we opted for another virtual run with the same route we used in October. We had our cheering squads along the way to provide water and encouragement. It was a beautiful spring morning and our first run in shorts this year. We squeaked in just under the 2 hour mark with a 9:07 overall pace. Megan was pretty strong the whole run, and I'd like to think I could have been faster, but I was still recovering from the after effects of my second COVID-19 vaccine. I got the shot on Wednesday, and on Thursday, I had a fever and chills which have been typical with this second dose. Luckily by Friday, I was feeling somewhat better, and I somehow cranked out the 13.1 miles on Saturday. Meg helped pull me along, and I perked up each time I saw our sweet cheerleaders! Now that 2021's half marathon is checked off, we will shorten our Saturday runs to a manageable single-digit distance - yay! 
After crossing through a toilet paper finish line, Megan and I took showers while Zack made a big breakfast for everyone: pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, livermush, and fruit. Then Grammy supervised all the cousins as we dyed Easter eggs. The three oldest ones each got a dozen to dye, and luckily there were no major spills or disasters. Eli didn't participate this year, but he enjoyed walking circles through the kitchen and playing with Zander's and Maddox's toys.
This morning we went to church, and although there were a few tears from Eli during nursery drop-off, I think he is becoming a little more accustomed to this new Sunday routine. It is only our third week of attending church in-person this year, but after joining at the end of February, we are feeling ready to get plugged in with a Sunday School class and with programming for the kids. 
I snapped this last photo to document Emmy's squad of stuffed animals. She lines them up in this very specific way every morning. She usually snuggles in between Skye and Purple Baby when its bedtime. My rule-following, particular oldest child! 

No comments:

Post a Comment