Saturday, May 30, 2020

Our Summer To-Do List

After getting back from Star last Sunday, it was so nice to have Monday off for Memorial Day. Boomer was home from work, and we enjoyed a fun outing getting Duck Donuts with Daddy. We had attempted to walk around the Quad at Wake, but we were disappointed to find that the campus is currently closed to visitors due to COVID-19. The security guard allowed us to drive through, but then we made our way to Reynolda Gardens for our donut picnic. The relaxing day on Monday was followed by four busy days for both Boomer and me. His school is filming individual student graduation ceremonies that will then be spliced together to make a commencement video. Thursday and Friday were particularly long days for him, with still two more days of filming coming up on Monday and Tuesday. Everyone is sad that a traditional graduation is not possible right now, but the families have been very appreciative of the effort and hard work put in to recognize the seniors. I do wish that Boomer could speak one last time in Wait Chapel for his address to the graduates. As he will soon transition to his new job, this is one "last" that I am sad to be missing. The three previous graduations were so special being back on Wake's campus and in this beautiful building where we both graduated.    
As of Friday at around 4:30PM, summer break officially started for me! I went to East Surry for my last teacher workday, and it was my first time back at school since March 6th, the day that started our Spring Break and two months of distance learning. In some ways, there was a feeling of normalcy to once again be back in my building and in my room. I enjoyed seeing my coworkers and catching up with them. I did not realize how much I had missed adult interaction! Without students there, the hallways were pretty quiet and the parking lot fairly empty. Unlike most last days of school, it was strange not feeling that teenage energy in the air, the excitement for graduation festivities and for summer vacation just around the corner. Without much fanfare, I packed away my things, and I have officially closed out Year 3 as the ESHS college liaison. I am hopeful that we can return in August and that the building will be full of life again. 
Speaking of packing up, I have also been doing some packing at home. Now that Eli has arrived and I don't have much use for Emmy's girly things, I passed along two bins of her clothing to one of Boomer's coworkers. I won't lie; there were a few tears as I sealed the lids. I got sentimental as I looked back through her clothes - special dresses for church, footed pajamas, well-loved clothes from daycare, and tiny socks and shoes. It is hard to accept that these things are much too small to fit her now. After I got out my tears (and after a pep talk from my mom and sister!), I realized it is much more practical to pass these things along rather than having them gather dust in a closet. It's funny how I have been so anxious to see Eli grow and gain weight, yet I want to freeze Emmy in time and not let her get any bigger. Motherhood is just a jumble of emotions!

For my first weekend of summer, we've spent it much like the other weekends of quarantine doing chores around the house, getting outside when possible, and enjoying a family dinner. Aunt Megan surprised Emmy with a very special gift this evening: Emmy's very own Elsa dress. Megan has talked about getting her a dress for a while when Emmy's interest in Frozen first started. Now that she is singing all the songs and pretending to be Elsa around the house, it is only fitting that she have the costume. Megan bought it to be a little big so that Emmy can wear it for Halloween, but she just couldn't wait until then to give it to her. Emmy loved dancing around and watching the train trail behind her. I have a feeling this dress will be getting a lot of use over the next few months!
As we close out the month of May, I drafted our 2020 KENNEDY SUMMER TO-DO LIST. I had to get a little creative this year with so many things still closed. In lieu of a baseball trip, I am hoping we can enjoy some local attractions close to home. Here's to a summer of making memories of a simpler kind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment