Thursday, April 11, 2019

One Decade of Running

On Saturday, Megan and I checked off our 2019 half marathon, the Craft Half in Winston-Salem. This particular race marked ONE DECADE of running together! After running in all four seasons over the years, we have decided that spring is our preferable time for racing, even though it means training in some frigid temperatures during January and February. This year's race started at 9AM, and temps were already in the low 50s, heading towards the 70s by midday. It was different to have the later start and to run in shorts, after running in leggings at 7AM for most of our training runs. The course was a tough there-and-back, and Meg and I separated early when I could tell that she was feeling pretty strong. I'm so proud of her for getting a PR (1:55:34!) and placing 2nd in her age group. I came in a bit later at 2:02:16, and it was so exciting to see our whole cheering squad at the finish line. That feeling never gets old! Even though I was a little slower, I felt good throughout the whole race and even afterwards as we went about the rest of our weekend. Meg and I are looking forward to enjoying the summer and fall...and then we will do it all over again in 2020!
Pre-race
Post-race
After the race, we went out to a celebratory lunch at the Loop, took short naps, and then spent the rest of the day outside. Gone are the days of laying on the couch after a long run! Emmy and I walked up to the neighborhood park, and then Emmy helped Daddy finish up the lawn. It felt good to be outside enjoying the nice spring weather. 
On Sunday, I met up with my girlfriends from Wake. I met these girls in graduate school at the same time that I started running over 10 years ago. Jen, Amy, and Christina all live in the Triangle area, and Sarah and I live in Kernersville, so we met in the middle in Burlington at a Mexican restaurant. It is always so good to see these girls and catch up on life. Christina has settled back in North Carolina after being in Denver this past year; Jen is wrapping up her 10th year teaching math at Cardinal Gibbons and planning an upcoming move with her boyfriend Paul; Amy's two little ones, Julia and James, are getting bigger and keep her very busy; and Sarah is back in the classroom after a short hiatus from her second child. Amidst our busy schedules, we have tried to meet up periodically, usually two to three times a year. I'm so thankful that we have stayed close these last ten years. While I was out to dinner, Boomer and Emmy had some daddy-daughter time. Emmy even talked Boomer into a walk around the neighborhood!

We celebrated the first of the April birthdays this week: my Mom! Meg, Mom, and I planned a mother-daughter evening at Create & Decorate, a DIY studio in Kernersville. We each picked out our own designs and had fun painting together while eating pizza and having some girl time. We've decided that these types of memories are more valuable than any present bought in a store! On the actual day of my mom's birthday, we included Grandpa and the kiddos for an oh-so-fancy dinner at Chick Fil A. Grammy is so special to all of us!
We are so close to Spring Break! This year, Boomer's, Meg's, and my Spring Break all line up to be next week, April 15th - 19th. We have a lot of fun things planned: the Forbush Prom, a family trip to Gatlinburg, a spa day, Easter egg hunts, and Zander's birthday on Easter. It's an exciting time of year as we make the home stretch to summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment