Sunday, April 22, 2018

Back-to-Back Proms

Boomer and I have spent the last two Saturdays at our schools' proms. If our count is correct, that makes #12 and #13 - that's a lot of proms! The Forbush Prom was first, and it was at the Bermuda Run Country Club like last year. It is a beautiful venue, and this year's theme was "Enchanted Forest." Boomer and I went out to dinner beforehand to a restaurant we had never been to called Mozelle's. It is in downtown Winston, and it had a cool, quaint vibe. Although we tend to go back to our tried-and-true restaurants, I love going to new ones, too. Boomer ordered the shrimp-and-grits, and I got the fried chicken with mac & cheese. Luckily my dress had some give to it! Our reservation was at 5PM, and even though we enjoyed a slow dinner, we still had some time to kill before our prom shift at 8PM. It was a beautiful day, so we went to Wake's campus to walk around. There were so many college kids on campus, throwing Frisbees and footballs, and I'd like to think we would have fit in if we weren't so overdressed. 
After a quick stop at Krispy Kreme for a doughnut and some coffee, we arrived at Prom for a few hours of chaperoning. Boomer had some principal duties throughout the evening, but I managed to steal him away for a few pictures.
Not only did Aunt Megan let me borrow a dress for the prom (and for the ESHS Prom, too!), she (and Uncle Zack, not pictured in the photos) watched Emmy for the evening. Based on the pictures, it looked like they had lots of fun eating pizza, going for a walk, and running in circles around the house. This is the second time that Emmy has stayed the night at her cousins' house, and I think it was another success. Megan said that Emmy tried to keep up with her cousins, and as soon as they got their pjs on, she wanted hers on, too. She slept well through the night, and then Boomer picked her up first thing in the morning before we headed to church. Thank you, Aunt Megan and Uncle Zack, for watching our girl!
Earlier in the day, just for fun, I brought Emmy into the bathroom with me and let her sit on her potty. It too is from her cousins (they no longer need it and are so nice to share with us!) I am undecided about when to actually attempt potty training. Emmy is still little, but perhaps if we do more sitting like this, it will help when the time comes. Next step: remove pants! :)
This past Saturday, we went to prom for my school. We took a few years off from the double proms, but we are now back to two proms a year! East Surry's prom was in Dobson at The Barn at Heritage Farm. Before my shift at 7:30PM, we met up with our friends Jared and Ashley. They live in Pilot Mountain, very close to my school but not very close to Kernersville. When you throw in two administrators' busy schedules and three kiddos between the two families, we just don't get to see them as much as I wish we could. Since we were in their neck of the woods, it worked well to meet for dinner before heading over to prom. My assignment was to be at the door checking people in and doing ballots for Prom King and Queen. Boomer enjoyed being my date and having a stress-free evening as my plus-one! Grammy came over to watch Emmy this time; we are so thankful for family!

In between the two proms, we celebrated my and Zander's birthdays! #32 for me, and #5 for Zander. My birthday was on Monday, and a dreary Monday at that. But we made the best of it! After the workday, we met up with my mom, dad, Gma, and the Houstons for dinner at Fire & Sticks, a Japanese steakhouse in High Point. The kiddos were entertained by our chef and liked watching the fire and the smoke. Emmy ate a good portion of Boomer's, Grammy's, and my soup and zucchini, as well as a few bites of rice and chicken. She has always liked our local fast-food Japanese place, so I was not surprised that she was gobbling down the food! We celebrated with a few candles (not all 32!) and like my mom's birthday last week, all the cousins wanted to help blow them out. Emmy came a little too close to the fire, and you can see Daddy was on guard to protect her! 
 
Zander's birthday was on Saturday; it is hard to believe that he is 5! It seems like just yesterday that I was wondering if I would be sharing my birthday with my nephew, but then he came a few days later. To celebrate the big day, Megan planned such a fun party at Jump-in-Fun, an indoor bounce-park. The kids and adults all had fun jumping on the big inflatables and going down the slides. I thought that Emmy would be too small to really do anything, but she loved it! She especially loved flopping down on the mats and going down the slides with Mommy and Daddy.
Emmy must have had a little too much fun at her cousin's party, because she has been a little off today. Her energy has been low, and she has also had a cough and runny nose. These symptoms have us thinking that she is dealing with allergies, but between yesterday and today, she has also spit-up three times - that has concerned me! We stayed home from church this morning so that she could rest, and I am hoping that tomorrow she is back to herself. We have a full week ahead, so I want her to be healthy. It feels like I am saying that a lot - "it's a full week". There is a lot on the calendar between now and the end of the school year. Even though the days are filled with work, laundry, packing lunches, and errands, we do our best to fit in walks after school and books before bed. Here are a few other snapshots from our week! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these beautiful picture of your life journey. Kids are really cute. My sister in law's baby shower was a recent family treat enjoyed at one of the amazing event halls for rent with showy décor. Table accessories were attractive with cute vases. Food was amazing and catering staff was attentive too.

    ReplyDelete