Sunday, October 15, 2017

13.1!

Even as I am writing this, I can't believe we really did it!  Yesterday, Meg and I ran another half-marathon together, but this time, we finally broke the 2-hour mark! It was such an exciting moment, and I still get chills thinking of crossing the finish line. 

Meg and I have been running races together for a few years now. We started back in 2009, and even through weddings and babies, we've managed to run a half-marathon each year. We've trained in the heat of summer and in the sub-freezing temps of winter. It's not just about the running, but spending time together as sisters. Our conversations during these runs bounce back-and-forth about work, husbands, babies, and schedules. It was even before one of these runs that I told Megan that I was pregnant and that she was going to be an aunt! Certainly it has not always been easy to drag ourselves out of bed on Saturday mornings, leaving behind our little families for a few hours of pounding the pavement or the trails at Salem Lake, but we have found that the precious time we spend together is good for the body and for the soul. My mom earlier this week said laughing "I don't know why you girls do this!" And truly I don't know why we do either! Except that it has become such a special time of bonding as sisters. 

On race day, our times have fluctuated over the years. While we've celebrated the accomplishment and not so much the pace, we also have always wanted to finish a sub-2 half marathon. Meg finally did it running solo back in May. During our training this summer and early fall, I, too, wanted to reach this goal. We had had some good training runs, but knowing the physical toil of having a baby and still nursing a baby, I was realistic when it came to race day. At the same time, there was a thought in my head "If I've gone through labor, surely I can do this!" 

The conditions on Saturday were just perfect. Mid 60's, overcast, comfortable for short sleeves and shorts. The race was called the Cannon Ball, and it was mostly on a greenway in Greensboro. Just like with most races, I had the normal jitters in the morning and even throughout the first few miles. I could feel my heart beating faster than usual and my breathing more labored. Right at the start, we cranked out a few miles at an 8:30 pace, and then with some hills, our time inched up to 9 minute miles. Meg and I decided ahead of time that we would limit our talking, unlike other races when we have mostly talked throughout the entire run. Our communication consisted of one or two words: "Water?" meaning "Do you want to get water at this water station?" and "Feeling okay?" meaning "Are you okay after that hill?" or "I'm here" meaning "I'm just behind you, still feeling good, I'll catch up." Our cheering crew was stationed right around mile 6, just after one of the hills along the route. It was such a boost to see all of them there cheering: Mom, Dad, Boomer, Emmy, Zack, Zander, and Maddox. Even Emmy was clapping! The route was a there-and-back, so we saw them again around mile 8. It gave us one last surge, and then it was on to the finish. 

Meg and I were each wearing GPS watches, and toward the middle of the race, they weren't in sync with the mile markers. Both of our watches would go off a minute or two before we would actually pass the marker. It made calculating our projected overall time a little difficult. As we passed mile marker 12, I could tell it would be close. Also, the 2:00 pacers (runners that carry signs throughout the race to help less-experienced runners reach certain goals) passed us. It was hard not to give up! Both of the pacers said that they were just a little bit ahead, running right at a 9:00 pace, when a 9:08 pace would still come in just under 2:00. It was about this time that we also came to the final hill, a hill that would continue to the finish. I could hear the music so I knew we were close. Meg said "Let's go!" and I put my head down to hopefully grind out the last of the race. I caught a glimpse of my mom yelling just ahead. As I caught up to her, she pushed Maddox in a stroller alongside of us for the last few yards. Meg kept cheering me on to "Push, Push!" Boomer was coaching, too. He said he had his eyes on the clock and knew that I could do it! Zander came in to finish out the race with us, and we crossed just under 2:00, with not much time to spare. It was the most thrilling of runner's highs that I have ever experienced! 

After the finish, sweaty and sore, Meg and I posed for photos with our crew. It is definitely a group effort pulling off this accomplishment! My dad, the cameraman and also the navigator, always scopes out the route and find spots to post up to cheer us on. My mom faithfully brings the signs to each race and then corrals the grandchildren, keeping them occupied and entertained aside from the few seconds when we run by. And then Zack and Boomer, who have pulled shifts every Saturday morning watching the kiddos so we could train. It certainly takes a village! They, too, deserve medals!

For now, Meg and I plan to enjoy the upcoming weekends with birthday parties, holidays, and other fun activities. No more long runs...until 2018! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment