Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Emerson's Dedication

This post is in some ways a continuation of my last post about special occasions. On Sunday, we marked perhaps the most special of occasions in Emerson's life so far -- we participated in our church's baby dedication. Our church holds only a few baby dedication services each year. While it is not an individual ceremony, Pastor Rob makes it special by praying over each child and reading a little excerpt about the child. The service happened to be scheduled for the Sunday following Emily and Daniel's wedding and UNCG's open house; it was a busy weekend to say the least. However, we wanted to make this outward expression of our commitment to raising Emerson in a Christ-honoring home. It is such a precious gift to know that God uniquely chose Boomer and me as Emerson's parents. What an awesome privilege! On Sunday, we acknowledged this responsibility and commit to raising her in the Word. We also are calling on our church body to help us with this task. After church, we had brunch at our house with my mom and dad, Meg, Zack, Zander, Maddox, Sarah, Josh, Luke, Laurel, Coley, and Caroline. It was so sweet to see Em passed around between all these people that love her so much.
A very special part of the dedication was dressing Emerson in the same gown that I wore 30 years ago for my own dedication. For such a white, delicate fabric, it was surprisingly in good shape! No sign of the bonnet from these photos, so we opted for a bow, but I am thankful that my mom stored the gown for all these years. Perhaps you can see some resemblance? After unearthing the photos from my own dedication, my mom was on a hunt to find even more photos that show the similarities between Em and me. After my mom posted these photos online, my cousin Kristin put together the side-by-side comparison in the last photo -- even I have to admit, there's no denying she is my daughter!

P.S. If you look closely at the photo of Megan and me, it looks like a slightly grainy, 80s version of Emerson and Zander! :)














No comments:

Post a Comment