Sunday, February 19, 2017

To My Mom

Whew, I survived my first week back at work! 5 days, 40 hours. There were some tears, lots of yawns, and several moments of missing my little girl. There were also nighttime cuddles, reunions with coworkers, and the pride of conquering another day. Each day seemed very full, from the time the alarm went off until I climbed back into bed that night. 

Em is still doing great sleeping through the night; however, we don't quite have a morning routine yet. She tends to stir anywhere between 4:00AM and 5:30AM. At the earlier end of that range, I would be able to catch a little more sleep before getting ready for work. If Em slept until 5:30AM, I would start my day after putting her back down. A few mornings, I saw her again before I left for work, but on other mornings, she would still be sleeping. I'm not sure which is better! When she is awake, it is harder to leave; when she is asleep, I miss seeing her. My own routine of getting ready has become pretty speedy. Quick shower, and then I am heading out the door with my extra 'luggage': my pump bag, my mini-cooler, and my purse. It's quite a sight! I would arrive back home anywhere between 5:30PM and 6PM, depending on the traffic. The hours in the evening went by quickly, with dinner, baths, bedtime, and then getting things ready for the next day. I had one late night when I had a college fair at a high school in Greensboro. On that night, I got home around 9PM, just in time to nurse Em to sleep and put her in her crib. I think all moms deserve awards for making it through the week! I guess the reward is the weekend -- and we have certainly been enjoying the slower pace and the extra time together over the last two days.


Like I wrote in my earlier post to my Valentines, the week was made better by the encouragement and prayers of so many people. By far, my biggest supporter this week was my mom. For the many hours that I was at work, she was at home taking care of Emerson. It has been such a blessing to know that my little girl is getting so much love and attention while I am away. In fact, I think she is more spoiled with Grammy than when she is with Mommy! My mom went above and beyond to make the week as easy as possible for me. There were tears in both of our eyes when I left on Monday morning. I think her heart broke too, knowing the sadness I felt in leaving. From making dinner to washing bottles, she worked tirelessly this week, and I can't thank her enough.
The texts throughout the day and the FaceTime calls helped me get through the next few hours. My heart is so full with gratitude for the time she is spending with my baby girl. I am happy to know that they are developing a bond that will last both of their lifetimes. As we close out the weekend and prepare for another week, I want to write a special post to my mother.  

Mom, 


Thank you for selflessly giving of your time, your energy, and your love to your family. I am so glad that Emerson is with you during this time of transition. When I think of her as I do often throughout the day, I have such a peace knowing that she is with you. It thrills my heart to know that you are reading with her, taking her on walks around the neighborhood, and capturing the next smile to send to me in a message. I can't quite put into words how much you mean to me and how I pray for a similar relationship with Em when she is older. Several months ago, I remember you saying that you thought it was your calling and your purpose during retirement to watch your grandchildren. I feel challenged to be a better mom as I watch you live out Proverbs 31:

"She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.'
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done, 

and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
- Proverbs 31: 27-31

I love you! XOXO
Lindsey Belle 

One of my favorite pictures of Grammy and Em

1 comment:

  1. Your family thanks u 4 being a good mom like your sister

    ReplyDelete