Saturday, November 19, 2016

Our First Week

Today marks one week being home with Emerson Leigh. Last Saturday, we were discharged from the hospital to start our journey as a family of 3. I am happy to report that it has been a good week! Boomer went back to work on Monday, and Grammy has been coming over each day. I am so thankful for her help! It has been nice to have the company, not to mention an experienced mom. Now that I am a mother myself, I can't put into words how much I appreciate what my own mother did for me. I have relied on her and my mother-in-law Cathy a lot this week.  Cathy, Emerson's Granny, is a nurse, so I have been frequently texting her, and she has been great to answer all of my questions. Does E's belly button look strange? Should I try a pacifier? Is she eating enough? Should I try pumping?

I know Boomer has missed seeing his girls during the day, and he has tried to come home as soon as he can each evening. I snapped this cute picture of him coming home from work on that first day -- and then this second picture just a couple of hours later :)
Boomer may have been surprised just a bit on Monday because while he was at work, Grammy and I decorated for Christmas! Boomer's favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, so I usually try to wait until after that, but I was ready to put up our tree. Emerson supervised while we decorated. Boomer was too excited to see his little girl that he didn't mind too much!

We have had several visitors, and Emerson has met more of her family and friends. She met Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Bakewell on Sunday, and then Coley (Aunt CoCo) on Tuesday.
We also had visits from Sarah, Josh, Luke, and their newborn Laurel, and my coworker, Megan. We ventured out for the first time on Tuesday with a trip to Target and for Emerson's first doctor's appointment. Lifting and driving are still discouraged, so Grammy was again such a big help! E's appointment went well. Her weight had dropped just slightly to 7 pounds, 10 ounces. She had lost about 5 ounces since birth, which is fairly common as newborns adjust to eating outside of the womb. I really like our pediatrician, and he said we have a healthy baby girl! We will go back again in two weeks.
On Thursday, we celebrated Thanksgiving early with Great Gma and Great Gpa Bakewell at their apartment complex, Arbor Ridge. It was only our second outing, but Emerson was great. All of the other residents at Arbor Ridge loved getting a peek at our little girl. Her Great Gma and Gpa have been talking about her a lot! Special 'thank you' to Aunt CoCo for E's Thanksgiving outfit!
A few other firsts this week: first bath and Emerson's first mail!
During the week and during E's naps, we put the finishing touches on the nursery. Even Grandpa came over to pitch in and help with hanging pictures. It was a team effort. I am excited about the finished look!
Just before writing this, I got a text from Coley reminding me of what I was doing five years ago -- my, how times have changed! I may not be running a marathon anytime soon, so for now, I will enjoy a quiet Saturday at home, watching football and cuddling with my sweet little girl!


2 comments:

  1. Thank U so much 4 the update. Such a sweet little darling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved visiting the smallest GG!! Can't wait to visit again soon!! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete