Sunday, November 21, 2021

Eli's Birthday at...school!

 While his big sister celebrated her birthday at Disney World, Eli's birthday was a little less extravagant. He went to school as usual, wearing a shirt that said 'birthday boy.' For dinner that evening, we went out to eat just the four of us at Don Juan's where we got a special dessert of churros and ice cream. Eli definitely has developed a sweet tooth, and he will often ask for 'tweets' after a meal. The birthday celebrations continued into the weekend, with dinner at the Houston's house. He got a Little Tikes basketball goal and basketballs from Aunt Megan and Uncle Zack. Luckily, Aunt Megan thought to buy two basketballs because it has proven to be a hit with Emmy, who will be starting Upward basketball soon. We had one last birthday celebration after church today at the Loop with Grammy, Grandpa, the Houstons, and the Williamses. From Grammy and Grandpa, he got a soccer goal, along with some clothes and new shoes. In addition to potty training this year, based on his gifts, Eli will also be playing a lot of sports!




In other happenings, my school's theater department held several performances of Frozen Jr. this past week, and of course my little Frozen fan absolutely loved it. The performance was amazing! Emmy loved coming to Mommy's school, and she was very attentive during the show. She even posed for photos afterwards with some of the characters. The play was a wonderful highlight to the week. My school sadly lost a student a couple of weeks ago, and it has been a very sad time. I am still sorting through my shock of the tragedy. With each day, we are finding ways to mourn and to remember the student, who was a phenomenal young lady. 

We are getting into the Christmas spirit at the Kennedy household! I'm always ready to decorate right after Halloween, but Boomer insists we hold off until closer to Thanksgiving. We will once again be traveling to Virginia for the holiday, so the compromise is decorating the weekend before. Emmy was my little helper with putting the tree together, and then Daddy put the finishing touch with the star on top. 
In the excitement of Disney, I didn't do my usual birthday posts for each of the kids with a recap from the year. I know that I will love looking back at these letters in the future, so I'll keep it short to carry on the tradition. 

Emmy - You have blossomed into a curious, vibrant, silly, contemplative little girl. Your teacher always gives a wonderful report about your behavior and your abilities. My heart fills with pride as she tells me that you were kind to a classmate and that you are moving quickly through the preschool curriculum. While you are reserved and mannerly at school, you have a wild side at home, as you make up games to play with your brother and run laps around the downstairs. You still love to narrate Eli's every move, and the two of you have started to develop a special sibling bond. You are very loving towards him, and you help retrieve his toys or reach something that is too high. I love the times we do things just the two of us, and I also love the special relationship you have with your Daddy. Your newest thing is falling asleep on your bedroom floor so that Daddy will come in to move you into your bed. (He's forgotten a time or two - oops!) The year ahead will bring kindergarten with new friends and a new school. I am excited to see how you take on this new adventure. I hope that you continue to love reading and helping others. You make your Daddy and me so proud!

Eli - This past year saw your first steps, your first words, and so many other 'firsts.' After a whole year of Grammy Daycare, you started school in August with your big sister. Sometimes there are still tears at drop-off, but your teachers say you are so sweet and very talkative. Daddy and I marvel at the way your vocabulary has expanded. Even at dinner tonight, Daddy asked who wanted some leftover cake for dessert, and you said "Eli does!" with the biggest grin. We often laugh at your ability to string together words and phrases to now make complete sentences. You often refer to yourself in third person as "E-I" and it will be bittersweet when you finally pronounce the 'L' in your name. You are showing me that boys do tend to eat more than girls. You will shovel in several bites at once so that your cheeks look like a chipmunk. Earlier in the year, I stopped nursing, and it was a sad moment as I accepted that you are no longer my little baby. You are becoming so independent with a fork and spoon, and you can even drink directly from a cup. Like your sister, there are moments that I want to squeeze you so hard because of all the love I feel for you. I hope that you will always let me. 

We love our November birthday babies! Happy birthday, Emmy and E-Guy!
Love, 
Mommy & Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment