Friday, August 13, 2021

Back to School

The 2021-2022 school year is officially underway! Emmy and Eli had their first day of preschool on Monday, and on Sunday evening, I had a long to-do list to prepare for the next morning: label supplies, set out clothes, finish a load of laundry, pack the car, and install the car seat. Since Boomer will be doing drop-off in the mornings and I will be doing pick-up in the afternoons, both cars are now equipped for transporting the kids. All of the prep beforehand helped make for a very smooth morning. Both kids woke up in happy moods and even cooperated for several pictures. I tagged along with Boomer for drop off on the first day. We managed to arrive a few minutes before 7AM and posed for a few more pictures. After Boomer and I got everything settled in the kids' cubbies, we said our 'goodbyes.' It was a little harder to say goodbye to Eli since this is the first time that he has been in a childcare setting. He has often cried during drop-off at the nursery and at the YMCA, so I was expecting tears from him, but surprisingly he immediately started playing with toys in the room. Mommy's eyes weren't so dry, and I had to exit quickly to hold it together. Emmy was such a sweet big sister to hold Eli's hand. She seems excited to share "her school" with her little brother. 
We arrived a few minutes before they opened so we took some photos outside. Eli was ready to go in! :)
I was so excited to see them after school. Both kids were in the same outfits which means no major spills or messes (mom win!) 

Both kids have had wonderful weeks! The reports from their teachers have been positive, and they are happy in the afternoons when I pick them up. We've shifted to a slightly earlier bedtime so that they are getting the sleep that they need. They have both been falling right to sleep usually without any protest. Eli didn't seem to nap much the first day, but naps have improved over the last four days. He has especially enjoyed outside time and playing with bubbles. 

Boomer will be continuing in his same role as the Director of Secondary Schools and CTE for Yadkin County Schools. The job has had some challenges amidst the pandemic, but he enjoys his work. We are thankful for his job and for his wonderful coworkers. And now for an update from me...

For lucky Year 13, I will be joining Boomer in Yadkin County as the College & Career Advisor at Forbush HS! I finished out last school year teaching math with the Surry Online Magnet School, and while I loved my coworkers and the flexibility of working at home, I missed the advising piece of working with students face-to-face. In early May, I started the graduate program at Liberty in hopes that in a couple of years I could apply to be a school counselor. When the position at Forbush was posted in late May, I updated my resume and and prayed that the interview went well. I found out in June that I got the job, and I have been anxiously waiting all summer to get started. While I was an honorary Falcon during Boomer's time at Forbush, I'm excited to officially join the staff now. Everyone has been so welcoming, and I have enjoyed settling in to my new space. 

On my first Teacher Workday, Boomer and I were able to carpool. He works an additional 10 minutes past my school, so he dropped me off on his way. We won't often carpool, but it is nice to have that option. On this particular day, the first Teacher Workday coincided with the kids' Open House, so it was convenient that Boomer and I were already together to go straight there. My mom snapped this photo as we were leaving in the morning :)
....and I talked him into stopping for an iced coffee! This Uber gets 5 stars! 
Similar to last year, there is a lot of uncertainty and nervousness surrounding the start of the school year as we welcome students back to our buildings. I am praying for the district and state leaders as they make important decisions regarding safety and learning. Happy Back-to-School to all the fellow educators, students, and families! 

No comments:

Post a Comment