Saturday, June 5, 2021

"Mama!"

We had a major breakthrough this week - Eli FINALLY said "mama!" Considering his expanding vocabulary, it's surprising that it has taken this long. Until this week, Eli said "Dada" for both Boomer and me equally. He would point to me in pictures when asked where Mommy is, yet he would still call me "Dada!" It had gone on so long that we would just laugh about it. I had even started to respond to "Dada." Then on Wednesday morning, Boomer went into Eli's room first, and when I came in a few minutes later, he looked at me and said "Mama!" Boomer and I both looked at each other in shock and then cheered and clapped as all parents do when their kiddo does something for the first time. After coaxing the rest of the day, he didn't say it again until the next morning when we repeated the same routine: Boomer went in to his room first, and then I came. By Friday, he was saying "Mama" more frequently and not just in the morning. I love the way he draws out the "mmm" of both of the "m's." Much credit goes to my mom, who has been practicing with him day in and day out this whole year. Now that he is saying "Mama," we have to get him to say "Grammy!"  

Friday was the last day of Eli being at my parents' house during the work week. My summer break starts on Tuesday, and so the year of Grammy Daycare has come to an end. I will certainly miss the daily routine of dropping him off at their house in the morning and then chatting with them in the living room during pick-up in the afternoon. When we made the quick decision in August not to enroll Eli in daycare as previously planned, my parents' offer to watch Eli was such a blessing during all the other uncertainty of COVID. There is no doubt that he has been loved and nurtured this year. It has been so precious to see the sweet relationship that he has developed with them. I know that I will always look back on this year and remember these special everyday moments of M&Ms from Grandpa and walks with Grammy. Here are some photos from Eli's last week: 

Emmy's school year is winding down too. She has one more week. This past week, her class had water day so she got to wear her bathing suit and flip flops. She was especially excited about the return of Kona Ice Fridays. 
Today we went to the Science Center to check out the new section Revolution Ridge. Wow, so many new animals and exhibits! We have watched the construction from afar with each of our visits over the last couple years, and it was exciting for it to finally open. The flamingos were a favorite, along with the indoor play place which reopened after temporary closure due to COVID. We have plans to go back with friends at the end of the month, but I wouldn't be surprised if we squeeze in another visit before then. The Science Center will definitely be a popular spot this summer. We are so excited summer is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment