Sunday, February 14, 2021

An Unlikely Valentine's Day

We have had an eventful Valentine's weekend! It started and ended on high notes, so I will begin with that. On Friday after work, Boomer surprised me with the most beautiful two dozen red roses! The flowers had actually been delivered earlier in the day and were still sitting outside on our front porch when he pulled up at home. Unfortunately I did not even know that they were there, and he came in holding the box. Ever year, Boomer gets me flowers for Valentine's Day, and every year, I am surprised. It was certainly true again this year! I quickly got the roses into water, and then we headed out to pick up the kids. Emmy was so excited to see both Mommy and Daddy at school, and she had quite a haul of candy and goodies from the day's festivities. We went to dinner at Big Burger Spot, and while we waited for our food, she emptied her bag of treats and inspected each one. For our little Valentine, it had pretty much been the best day ever!





To end the weekend, Boomer and I got a little date tonight after our First Steps class at church. We chose the ever romantic, super fancy....Taco Bell! 

And so now for the middle part of the weekend...The weather has been pretty crummy with freezing rain for almost 48 hours straight. The ice on the trees caused a lot of damage, and in the middle of the night on Friday, we lost power. The kids' video monitor made a beeping noise which woke me up, and I had trouble sleeping well after that. I kept thinking about having no heat, our food spoiling, and our cell phones dying! Needless to say, I wasn't very rested when I heard the kids moving around at their usual 6:30AM. Luckily the power came back on shortly after 7AM, and I headed off to meet Megan for our Saturday run. In preparation for our own half-marathon at the end of March, we were scheduled to run our first 10-miler of 2021. Megan and I were not to be deterred by the freezing rain, and we laced up anyway. After knocking out our miles and getting quite drenched in the process, we were looking forward to heading home to a hot shower....until Megan's car wouldn't start. Dad and Mom came quickly to the rescue, and Dad was able to jump it off so that Megan could drive it to the dealership. She is driving a loaner for a few days while hopefully they figure out the problem. Shortly after I got home, we were eating lunch when again, our power went out. And this time, it stayed off for quite awhile. To pass the time, we took naps and then headed to Arby's for dinner. We then went over to my parents' house to hang out for a bit. When it became apparent that our power may not be coming back on any time soon, our visit turned into a sleepover! Emmy thought it was so fun to stay at Grammy and Grandpa's, and she especially loved having her own room with a big twin bed. After the kids went to sleep, we watched an episode of Dateline, and then this morning, we had cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and it reminded me so much of trips home to Morganton when my parents were still living there. This was the first time staying in their house in Kernersville, and they spoiled us just like when Boomer and I came home to Bel Aire Drive. Our power was restored around 10PM Saturday night, so after breakfast, the four Kennedys headed home. Mom and Dad saved both of their girls on Saturday - how blessed we are to have them close now! Here are a few pictures from our run and from scenes at Grammy and Grandpa's.
Valentine's Day wouldn't be complete without Emmy's photos for Daddy. It is hard to believe that it is the same sign that was practically her size four years ago. I pray that she always looks at her Daddy like he hung the moon. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment