Thursday, October 22, 2020

My Big Girl

Last Saturday, Emmy was invited to her first birthday party for a classmate from school. Since his name is also Emerson, we have called him "boy Emerson" to distinguish between the two. Emerson's mom, Mallory, planned a fun party with pumpkin decorating, donuts, and playtime on the playground. It was a beautiful fall day and perfect for outdoor activities. I especially loved seeing the way that Emmy interacted with her peers. They were all so silly together - laughing at burps, trying to out-scream each other, and just generally being rambunctious kids. All of us parents agreed that their teacher, Mrs. Holly, is a saint! Since the party was at 10AM during Eli's morning naptime, Eli and Boomer stayed at home. On the car ride home afterwards, I said to Emmy, "I had so much fun! I loved doing something just us girls. We will have to do it again soon!" to which Emmy responded....

"I want to do something with Daddy!" 


This time of year means flu shots and annual doctor's visits. Both kiddos got their flu shots today, and Emmy had her 4-year well check. Although she will be 3 for a few more weeks, it was convenient to double up her appointment with her flu shot to make only one trip to the doctor's. I realized just how old my little girl is getting when Dr. Albright actually addressed his questions to her. He asked things like: What do you like to do? (play) Do you help Mommy and Daddy? (yes) How do you help them? (help them play) Some of her answers didn't quite make sense, but she showed off a bit by singing some of her songs from school and sharing some of her artwork. They took her measurements, and Emmy weighed 35 pounds (56th percentile) and was 3'5" (80th percentile). The visit ended with the dreaded shot, but she was such a tough girl and didn't shed a tear! As a special treat, not only did she get a Happy Meal for lunch, but instead of going back to school, she got to spend the afternoon with Grammy, resting in her big bed and then making cupcakes. Emmy sure loved the extra spoiling!

Earlier in morning, before school, I captured a funny moment with my phone. During the final five minutes that Boomer and I hustle to head out the door, Emmy will wait patiently and either watch something on Daddy's phone or color at her table. I got a kick out of the way she put on her Minnie ears and crossed her legs, lounged back in Mommy's chair. Boomer and I joked that her pose is saying "Servants, put on my shoes and take me school." I had to grab my phone to take a picture! From birthday invitations to 4-year check-ups, my girl is getting so big! 

No comments:

Post a Comment