Monday, September 10, 2018

Field Trips and Football

After the Labor Day holiday, it was nice to have a short work week. Things have been going well at work. One of my big tasks right now is prepping for a field trip for our 11th and 12th graders. The field trip is tomorrow, and we are taking the majority of our junior and senior class to the local community college for their annual college fair. It is the same type of college fair that I would go to when I was working at UNCG. Instead of standing behind the table handing out brochures like I did in the past, I will be corralling 160+ students onto buses and supervising them as they browse the college tables. It is a bit of a role reversal from what I was doing just two years ago. My ESHS coworkers have been great to help with driving buses, chaperoning students, and covering classes. Hopefully everything will go smoothly tomorrow!

We've been enjoying the warm September evenings with walks around the neighborhood and playtime in the bath. Boomer isn't always home for these things, but he sure makes them more fun when he is, as you can see by Emmy's hair-do! Mommy is more business, but Daddy always keeps us laughing. One evening last week, Boomer had a night off from Forbush sports and decided to knock out the weekend chore of cutting the grass. Emmy loved watching him through the window; she was mesmerized as he went back and forth on the mower. On Friday, he had to work late for a football game, so Emmy and I met our friends Stephanie and Lyla for a play date at the park. It's fun to see how Emmy and Lyla have started playing more together as they are getting older. I forgot to take pictures once our friends arrived, but I did capture a shot of Emmy at the top of the slide, smiling and looking out over the world.  

On Saturday, Mom, Emmy, and I made the trip to Morganton to celebrate Baby LeBaron. Emily and Daniel are expecting a boy on November 10th (Emmy's birthday!), and all the Garland Girls and our mamas hosted a shower to help the new parents prepare for baby boy's arrival. The shower had a book theme in honor of Emily's love of books and since she is a high-school English teacher. One of my favorite times of each day is when Emmy and I are reading together before bedtime; I know this will be a special time for Emily and her baby too. Funny enough, this is the third year in a row that we have gathered together in Morganton during this very same weekend: a baby shower for me in 2016 and then a 'sip-and-see' for Hadley and Adelia last year. It was a beautiful day, and Mom and I enjoyed the time in the car together traveling to and from Morganton. Emmy was quite worn out after all the shower fun and slept all the way home; she was asleep before we even got on the interstate!

We are starting to experience the first of fall weather, mostly because of a cold front and rain from an approaching hurricane. The weekend was still pretty warm, but then Sunday afternoon was a bit chilly, perfect timing with my regular Sunday nap. While I'm not completely ready to trade in my shorts and flip-flops for jeans and blankets, it was nice being cuddled inside for the evening to watch the start of the football season. Boomer is once again playing fantasy football, so I have secondhand anxiety as we watch each game on Sunday and Monday. Let's hope it is a winning season for [all 5 of] Boomer's teams!

1 comment: