Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Girls Weekend

This past weekend, I had a girls weekend with my best buds. No matter where we are or what we do, even if it's in Winston-Salem on a random March weekend, I always feel like I am on vacation when I am with my girls. It reminds me of summer trips and college weekends from the past. Sure, we are a little older now, juggling the obligations of adult life, planning with an online survey and shared Google docs, but when we are together, there is an easiness and carefree-ness that reminds me of being in high school again. It's hard to believe that I have been friends with these girls for almost two decades! This past weekend, Carrie was such a gracious hostess, and we stayed at her house in Winston-Salem. On Saturday, there was another round of wintry weather, so it was the perfect excuse to be lazy indoors. The snow changed to rain, and we were able to venture out for dinner that evening. Aside from dinner, we mostly stayed in our sweats, chatting, eating, and laughing 'til our bellies hurt! Even though we stay caught up on each other's lives via an on-going [and hilarious] group text message, we still have so much to talk about when we are together. When Sunday morning came, we were all a little sad to say 'goodbye', but we have already penciled in a date for a beach weekend in July. I am certainly looking forward to having the summer off this year!
While I was away, Boomer took charge as solo parent for the weekend. I tried to make things easy for him by setting out Emmy's clothes and also lining up my parents to help out on Saturday so he could do some work on his dissertation. (He also managed to fit in getting my car serviced and inspected!) I received these photos Saturday morning when apparently the whole gang got together for breakfast without me -- how rude! Don't they know they can't have fun without me?! Emmy seemed to quite enjoy her biscuit, and she matched Grammy in their cozy sweaters. The sweater was a special gift from my mom's friend, Linda Crumpler. Auntie Linda made the sweater before Emmy was born (and before we knew "Emmy" was "Emmy"!) She looked adorable and so grown up!
Emmy's appetite is definitely expanding. She is trying more and more foods. At breakfast, apparently she had practically an adult portion! The other evening, we were over at my parents' house for dinner, and she ate almost an entire enchilada - tomatoes, chicken, cheese, and even a few bites of the peppers. She can still be a little unpredictable; she will eat something one day and then turn her head to it the next. We are supplementing her diet with the fruit and veggie pouches, so that I can be assured she is getting enough. Boomer and I laugh at how big her belly will be after a big meal! It is the cutest thing to see it sticking out over her pants!

After my girls weekend, I swung by the house to pick up Emmy and Boomer, and then we were off to Asheboro for another March birthday party. Emmy's cousin Ellison turned one on March 27th, and on Sunday afternoon, we celebrated with cake and presents. Boomer snapped these photos of his girls 'matching' in our hot pink tops! I sure missed her over the weekend!

I think this past weekend may be the last of the wintry weather. Over the past two weeks, we have enjoyed a few delays due to black ice and sub-freezing temperatures. On these mornings, everyone gets to sleep in a little bit, and there is not the usual rush out the door. During a delay last Wednesday, Emmy and I met Grammy and Grandpa at Fitz on Main for breakfast. We found that Emmy preferred Grammy's grits with sugar over Grandpa's grits with salt!

Amidst the wintry weather, we have had a few nicer days, and so there have been hints that spring is on its way. When the temps reach the 60s, I will usually pick up Emmy from daycare and then take her for a short loop in downtown Kernersville. We will then head home for dinner and the rest of the nighttime routine. If it isn't a bath night, there will be time to play for a bit. Emmy continues to like her board books and the rings from her Fisher-Price stacking tower. She will usually put all of them on her arms like bracelets. She is a busy girl as she plays with all her toys that have stayed at home during the day. 
I think we are officially bidding farewell to winter. My Spring Break starts on Friday, and I am hoping we can spend some time outside. I am so looking forward to the time off! Although we had the break over Christmas and the sporadic snow days, it has been a long stretch, really since my return from maternity leave last February. The weekends are just so short. I plan to soak in the next ten days with my little family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment