Sunday, November 5, 2017

Our Little Pumpkin turns One!

We had the most fun weekend celebrating our sweet Emerson Leigh! Just like the whole rest of the year, Saturday passed all too quickly. I had started planning Emmy's party about a little over a month ago. With some help from Meg and Mom, I came up with a pumpkin theme, fitting with her fall birthday and the fact that last year, I looked like I was smuggling a pumpkin under my shirt! The party went by in a blink, and I am so thankful for the photos to remember it all. 
We had family and friends from near and far come to celebrate our little girl: Charlotte, Morganton, Winston-Salem, Star, Asheboro, and even Florida. It seemed our house was overflowing with babies, toddlers, and grown-ups, too! Emmy didn't quite know what to think about all these people in her house, but she didn't mind being passed around and posing for photos. 
Coley (a.k.a. Aunt CoCo) made the most beautiful two-tiered vanilla cake, plus a special smaller cake just for Emmy. Both cakes were absolutely perfect for the occasion. Aunt CoCo is so talented, and we are so thankful that she shares this talent with us. Her cakes are certainly made with a lot of love. In addition to the cake, we had other brunch foods. I also decorated with a banner that had each of Emmy's monthly photos. I love how her personality comes out more and more with each passing month. 
 
All of Emmy's cousins joined in when it was time to open presents. They showed her how to rip open the packages and pull out the tissue paper. One very special present was a handmade dress from Grammy with a tiny rose pattern and a matching set of undies. My mom used to sew dresses for Meg and me when we were younger. The last thing I remember her making was the long red dress we each wore for concert band in high school -- that was quite a few years ago! I know that Emmy's dress will be something I keep forever and pass on to her when she has children of her own. 
When it was time for cake, Emmy's cousins helped again and showed her how to blow out (and not grab!) the candles. We sang twice -- naturally, since there were two cakes and lots of willing helpers.
Emmy was all tuckered out from being the life of the party. Granny put her down for a nap, while the last of the party-goers headed home.

All too soon, I'll be saying Emmy's age in years instead of months; I'll have a 'toddler' instead of a 'baby.' It is bittersweet to celebrate these special moments, without feeling sad for the moments that have already passed by. I plan to cherish these last few days with my 11-month-old before she officially turns 1 on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment