Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Ready, set, SUMMER!

It feels like summer is officially underway! Although there are still a few more school days, the weather is warm and the days are long. We are enjoying more and more time outside, and I love it! We kicked off the weekend with a belated birthday celebration for Coley a.k.a. "CoCo." Before dinner, CoCo came over to see Em and get in some snuggles. Em showed off all her latest tricks of rolling over, holding herself up, and 'talking.' Then Em stayed home with Daddy while Mommy enjoyed a few hours out.
 On Saturday morning, we hit the road shortly after breakfast to go to Lake Tillery. Memorial Day was on Monday, so we had an extra day to our weekend. I am thankful to the many great men and women in the military and the other branches of public service who have defended our freedoms by their service and sacrifice. For the last six years, we have spent almost every Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day at the lake with Boomer's family. With the family getting bigger each year, we are quickly outgrowing the house, but we all squeeze in for a couple days of sun, water, food, and family time. Here's a picture of the two newest members of the Kennedy crew; we were sure to document their first trip to the lake. These two girls stayed together most of the time, either in a pack-in-play on the dock or on a blanket in the grass. I get a kick out of Em's face in the second picture; she looks so sneaky as she grabs Ellison's pacifier! 
On both Saturday and Sunday, we had full days from sun-up to sun-down, sitting on the dock, going on boat rides, and just passing the time in between meals. Em was so cute in her bathing suit, and while she still needs a little support when she is sitting, she loved splashing around in the baby pool. Boomer would probably want me to document that she did a face-plant into the pool while under Mommy's watch :(  Not my best moment! After that, I was certainly on high alert for the rest of the weekend. I'm interested to see how much she develops by July 4th. By then, she may be able to sit on her own (but of course I will stay close by!) A couple of months ago, Paw Paw traded in the pontoon boat for a faster speed boat. I wasn't quite ready for Em to test it out, so Granny, Boomer, and I took turns throughout the weekend staying back at the house with her. There was always usually one other child napping and so usually another adult, too. During one boat outing on Saturday, Carlin talked me into water skiing. I paid for that the next two days! I learned to water ski many years ago and probably haven't been in 15+ years. I managed to get up a couple of times, but I am not sure it was worth the soreness the rest of the weekend! We ended each day with a short stroll along the road near the house, when Boomer and I found ourselves talking about the past year and the year ahead. I love how we always seem to become so reflective on our walks. It's great to be able to enjoy the time together without phones or other distractions. 
 Perhaps my favorite photo! (post-face plant, as you can see from the wet hair)
We came back into town on Monday and met up at Dairio with Zander, Maddox, Aunt M, and Uncle Z. Zander was such a sweet big cousin as he sang to Em and did silly things to make her smile!

As we look to the months ahead, we have a lot on our summer bucket list! Every year, I make a list of these fun to-do's, and Boomer usually hangs the list on the bathroom mirror. Here is a look back at last year's list...
 
...and here is what we hope to accomplish this year! I'm so excited for Emerson's 1st Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment